Thank you for your interest in the role of Trustee of the Triangle Trust.
As all our Trustee appointments are time-limited, we are seeking to fill one vacancy on our Trustee Board. We have a good spread of skills and experience currently in the Board but are hoping to recruit someone who has a strategic perspective on grant-making, to support how the Trust develops into the future.
In this pack, and on our website, you will find background information about the Trust, the role of the Trustee and a job description, and also how to apply.
If you would like an informal chat about applying or further information, please email Director@triangletrust.org.uk and we will be in touch.
We are an independent grant making trust that operates across the United Kingdom. Set up by Sir Henry Jephcott in 1949, we originally provided hardship and education grants to individuals associated with the Glaxo pharmaceutical company. Since then we have evolved and now give grants to community organisations supporting those in need.
In 2012 the Trustees decided we should become more focused in our grant making with the aim of making a greater impact on those receiving support. So in 2013 we started to focus our support in two key areas – unpaid carers and the rehabilitation of offenders and ex-offenders.
The Triangle Trust’s grant criteria has changed over the years in response to changing social needs but our core aims have remained constant.
People in need across the UK receive the necessary support to improve the quality of life.
To fund community and voluntary organisations that offer targeted high quality support and work to achieve change for the better.
- During these unprecedented times disrupted by Covid-19, we adjusted our approach to grant making so that we could quickly support the immediate needs of the unpaid carers sector. We launched an emergency small grants programme that provided organisations supporting unpaid carers with the opportunity to apply for up to £10,000 to fund both different ways of proving supporting and adapting to home working. We collected information from all successful applicants after six months and the infographic below shows the impact our funding made during this challenging time.
- For 2021 Trustees have agreed a one year strategy that will focus on supporting the needs of young carers and young offenders. This strategy was launched at the end of March 2021 and our funding is focused on employment support for young offenders and school and education support for young carers/young adult carers.
- For 2022 and beyond we will be looking to develop a three year strategy that builds on what we have achieved in 2021 and sets the future direction of the Trust. We will be working hard on this during 2021 and Trustees play a key role in supporting this and crucial decision making at Trustee Meetings.
- Our current Development Grants can be up to £80,000 over three years. The grants that we will be awarding in 2021 will be up to £60,000 over two years.
- We are an endowed fund and spend the income earnt on our investments on our grant making. We typically award around £650,000 in grants each year between both sectors we support. We expect the income earnt from our investments to drop slightly in the coming years which will affect the amount of funding we have available but we are keen not to let this affect the impact we can make.
- Triangle Trust employs two paid members of staff – a Director and a Grants Assistant. Our office is based in Brighton and board meetings tend to take place either in London or other locations easily accessible for Trustees to travel to.
How to apply
Please send us a CV and a covering letter that includes a statement of why you wish to become a Trustee and what you would bring to the board. Please email these to Director@triangletrust.org.uk before the closing date (14 May 2021).
Job description is included in the pack and the term of office is five years with a further five year term able to be served.
Please see the Board skills assessment table in the job description to see where we currently have gaps in expertise on the Board. Where we have marked E we are looking to add additional expertise.
Triangle Trust •
Our response so far has supported: